Small Business Marketing During the COVID-19 Crisis
The COVID-19 pandemic has essentially brought society to a screeching halt and businesses everywhere are suffering. You are not alone. Everyone has a looming sense of uncertainty about the days ahead, but as a business owner, this does not mean you should call it quits and shutter your company. Use this time to take a deep breath and prepare to adapt.
It is still your job to be there for your customers by keeping them informed and letting them know you are with them every step of the way. Meanwhile, behind the curtain, you are going to have to buckle down and improvise.
Here are some ways to carry on as usual during unusual times:
- Keep talking. Utilize every form of digital communication possible. The worst thing you can do right now is “ghost” your clientele by not posting on your social media, not writing new blog posts, and not updating your email subscribers. They want to hear from you! Just remember to be thoughtful with your wording and encourage them to get in touch with you if they have questions or concerns.
- Continue to run ads. While it does not seem like it right now, the COVID-19 crisis will end, and society will start functioning again. By continuing to advertise, you will stay top of mind with customers who will remember you once the threat of the virus has passed. Although, depending on your business, you may want to cut back a bit on the frequency of your ads if you are not providing a service that is a priority at this time such as arranging speed dating events ?
- Step it up a notch. Depending on your business, sales will still happen because people are at home on their computers ordering things they need and want. When you get a sale, go the extra mile by sending them a personal message thanking them for their business. If you are shipping their product, reach out to the client and let them know that it is on its way and when they can expect it. Remind them that they can reach out to you if needed and you will respond as soon as possible.
- Increase your use of video. Video marketing places you on a more personable level with your subscribers. You are not just a business; you are a human being who is also feeling the stress of the situation but doing your best to stay positive and upbeat.
- Be entertaining! They say that laughter is the best medicine. If you ever wondered when it is appropriate to inject humor into your business promotions, the time is now. By practicing good taste and tact, you can successfully create a lighthearted Facebook post or an amusing vlog to make someone smile.
Now that you know the angles involved, it is fine to take a few days to gather your thoughts before designing your content. Also, check out what other companies are doing to gain insight and get some ideas about how you can personalize your campaign.
Remember, there is no shame in asking for help. If you feel as though you need financial assistance for payroll and bills, entrepreneurs such as yourself can gain some relief by applying to the programs the government has put in place specifically for those being affected by COVID-19. Visit the U.S. Small Business Administration for more information.
If you need assistance tailoring your marketing to your industry’s current climate, Higgins Marketing Group can help. Contact us if you’d like to discuss your specific situation. Keep your head up! WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS!